Almost every household in Australia has a need for some form of outdoor storage like a garden shed. In the past, all garden sheds were built with whatever timber was available. But during the 1970s new garden shed options became available through garden centres and hardware stores. These sheds were made of galvanized, Zincalume or Colorbond steel sheets. And in the past 10 years or so, there’s been an additional option – plastic sheds.
So, if you’re planning to add a shed to organise your garden better, you can choose from three types of material: metal, plastic (resin or vinyl) or wood. Understanding the advantages and downsides of each option will help you discover what type of shed best suits your needs.
A metal shed is ideal for those who need a cost-effective, simple storage solution. Considering how metal is easy to work with and tweak, metal sheds come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from wall sheds to space-efficient tall garden storage.
- Durable. Metal sheds are very durable. They don’t rot and are insect resistant. Metal sheds are not affected by weather conditions.
- Low maintenance. Metal garden storage solutions don’t require maintenance like painting, sanding or treatment for insects.
- Long-lasting. Metal sheds are very sturdy, and if treated with the right finishes, like for instance Colorbond, they can also be resistant to corrosion.
- Great value for money. Metal is a lot more affordable than wood, which is why it makes a great choice if you’re looking for a tall garden storage solution.
- Hard to customise. Very difficult to customise if you want to make some changes in the future as you’ll need heavy-duty tools that the average homeowner doesn’t usually have.
- Appearance. Often metal sheds don’t look very appealing. But keep in mind that they are made to get the job done and not to impress.
- Still, some manufacturers are trying to enhance the appearance of metal sheds. Today on the market, you can find a variety of Colorbond sheds that come in a variety of colours, allowing you to pick a model that will blend in with your exterior perfectly. Additionally, Colorbond sheds are known for their strength and durability thanks to the oven-baked finish of the material. They have what it takes to withstand harsh Australian weather conditions.
Resin sheds can be made from a variety of materials such as vinyl, polyethylene or other resin materials. Although they may look the same, there are some differences between them. Vinyl sheds are more retardant and durable, they don’t crack easily and are more weather-resistant. Compared to other plastic sheds, they withstand extreme temperatures better. Vinyl makes a great choice for those who live in hot and humid climates.
- Easy to clean. Cleaning a plastic shed is easy – you only need soap and water. Plus, it’s relatively maintenance-free.
- Resistant to outside factors. No need to paint it, sand it or treat it with insect repellant. Very durable.
- Lightweight. It’s easy to move and transport a plastic shed as they are weightless compared to metal or wood sheds.
- Less sturdy. Though durable, plastic sheds are not as strong as metal or wood sheds. They can be easily knocked over by strong winds.
- Less customisable. Plastic sheds are difficult to customise as drilling holes directly through the plastic is difficult. Additionally, plastic sheds can not bear as much weight on the walls, so you need to limit the shelves or hooks you’re planning to add. You don’t have many options to match the plastic shed exterior with your house.
Wooden sheds are the best option for those who want to add some traditional aesthetic to their garden. Wooden sheds are very easy to customise and are great for do-it-yourself gardeners and those looking for a new room or workshop.
- Visually Attractive – Due to wood’s earthy colour and natural texture, these sheds can easily blend into a garden landscape.
- A variety of designs. Wooden sheds can come with different windows and door styles to choose from.
- Easy to customise. You can paint or shingle your wooden shed and match it with your house style. You can add shelves and hooks relatively easy and afterwards you can even extend your wooden shed on your own.
- Strong and durable.
- High maintenance. Wooden sheds require proper maintenance to keep it in good condition. Wooden sheds need to be painted often. They are also easily susceptible to rot and insect damage.
- Insect-resistant wood is expensive. Red cedar is a type of wood that is naturally insect and rot-resistant, so investing in red cedar will help your wooden shed last longer. However, it comes at a high cost.